- Each student will begin with a passport, Travel Tracker, and a Songbook.
- During each leg of the race, the students will be given a special practicing task (Road Block) to earn a ticket to "fly" to one of 16 countries. NOTE: PARENTS ARE OFTEN INVOLVED IN THIS TASK SO PLEASE CHECK YOUR CHILD'S BINDER EACH WEEK AFTER THEIR LESSON.
- After they earn their ticket, the student will be assigned a folk song from the destination country and may have a special task to be completed (depending on the expertise level) to clear Customs for that country. All folk songs are the right hand melody only and can be sightread by most students. Most tasks will involve adding a bass part to the song (hence, The Amazing BASS Race), such as one note per measure for 1st year students, one chord per measure for 2nd year students, and chords with variations and embellishments for 3rd year and beyond students.
- Once the student has cleared Customs, their passport will be stamped. If they are in the lead, their name will move up to First Class on our leader board, otherwise it will be in Coach. Then they will be given their next practicing task to earn their next ticket.
- The students will visit the countries in a specific order...after all, it's a race!
NOTE: To finish the race by the end of the school year, the student should complete two countries each month. This means each week they should either complete a practice task or learn a folk song. Most students will be able to sight read the folk songs.